Genetic Genealogist CeCe Moore Featured on 60 Minutes Segment about GEDMatch and Genetic Genealogy Used to Solve Cold Case Crimes
If you were unable to catch the first segment of last night’s 60 Minutes broadcast entitled Inside the genetic genealogy being used to solve crimes, click HERE to view for free or click the video below.
The segment offers a great overview of:
- GEDMatch: how it was created, the founders and how it is being used by law enforcement for solving cold case crimes.
- Genetic Genealogy: with an interview of genetic genealogist CeCe Moore, 60 minutes covered the issue of using good old-fashioned genealogy research methodology to solve these cases – it can’t be done with DNA matching alone!
- Parabon: the company based in Reston, Virginia that is working with law enforcement to develop tools to solve crimes involving DNA samples.
- Privacy: briefly covered (and not covered enough, in my opinion) the concept of privacy and DNA uploads in public databases.
More Genetic Genealogy Videos on the 60 Minutes Website
Once you’ve watched the video, make sure you visit the 60 Minutes page HERE to view extra content that did not make it into the original segment. There are videos on privacy, Parabon, and more.
Save 30% on GEDMatch & Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence Boot Camp!
Join DNA expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters shares her tricks and tips on using the popular (and FREE) GEDmatch program, AND walks you through a case study focusing on combining DNA and non-DNA evidence. Mary will also answer your questions live during the online webinars.
- GEDMatch – Powerful Tools for Analyzing DNA Results and Finding New DNA Matches: GEDMatch is a free, third-party website offering additional tools to interpret your DNA results. Tools include a chromosome browser. GEDMatch accepts DNA test results from DNA testing companies, such as Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe. It can be a great way to find new matches. Learn how to use this helpful website.
- Case Study: Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence: This case study shows the importance of combining DNA and non-DNA evidence to solve an unexpected genealogy mystery. With an extensive tree in hand, it might seem that DNA would only help fill in gaps and breakdown brick walls. However, DNA helped in “pruning” an entire branch of the client’s tree and uncovered a mystery. DNA (along with census records, family stories, and even a pony!) and helped reconstruct the pruned branch.
You’ll receive over 3 hours of educational content for the low price of $25.99! You’ll also receive access to the recorded versions of each webinar and the handouts! Register by Monday, November 12, 2018 and receive $6 off the registration price for a low $19.99 USD! Space is limited, and if you register but can’t attend, you’ll still receive the handouts, the freebies and access to the recordings!
Click HERE for more information and to register – via Hack Genealogy
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.