What happens when a “tech guy” with a love for history gets laid off during The Great Recession of 2008? You get me, Thomas MacEntee, a genealogy professional who’s also a blogger, educator, author, social media connector, marketer, network builder and more.
I was laid off after a 25-year career in the information technology field, so I started building my own genealogy-related business called High Definition Genealogy. I also created an online community of over 3,000 family history bloggers known as GeneaBloggers. My most recent endeavor, Hack Genealogy, is an attempt to “re-purpose today’s technology for tomorrow’s genealogy.”
I’m a lifelong learner with a background in a multitude of topics and I’ve finally figured out what I do best: teach, inspire, instigate, and serve as a curator and go-to-guy for concept nurturing and inspiration. I believe in success, and that we all succeed when we help each other find success.
I see things differently than most in the genealogy field; I’m almost never content with the status quo. That doesn’t mean I chase after change just for the sake of change; but when I see an opportunity to improve something and to bring more people into the genealogy sphere, that’s where you’ll find me.
What I believe
- In abundance; that you get back ten-fold what your give freely to your profession and to your community.
- Knowledge is to be shared and not hoarded.
- Not everything is free, including genealogy records access, educational content and stuff found on the Internet.
- In order to receive the next good thing coming your way, you must have an open hand, palm up . . . you can’t get there if you’re constantly holding on to what you have.
- Always give credit and attribution; if you can’t find the artist/author/innovator, then don’t use it or share it.
- Celebrate the success of others and believe in possibilities – theirs and your own. Instead of saying, “Hey, that should be me!” say “Hey, that could be me!”
Want to know more about Thomas?
- I was born in New York, and after living in Northern California for close to 20 years, I currently reside in Chicago.
- I’m a Baby Boomer at heart, with a head full of useless pop culture trivia.
- What I do and who I am are difficult to describe and I purposely avoid labels.
- If I had my way, I’d be in school forever, racking up degree after degree.
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
©2017, copyright Thomas MacEntee