TLC’s Emmy Award-Winning Series, Who Do You Think You Are? Returns This Spring with More Unexpected Celebrity Family History Discoveries
[Editor’s Note: We just received this press release from our friends at TLC about the new upcoming season of Who Do You Think You Are?]
New Season Features Hilary Duff, Jean Smart, Jon Cryer, Laverne Cox, Molly Shannon, and Megan Mullally
(Los Angeles, CA) – TLC’s Emmy Award-winning series, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? is celebrating its tenth anniversary with the return of a new season on Monday, May 21st at 9/8c featuring a new group of celebrities who are eager to explore their family roots.
This season, six all-new, hour-long episodes will dare to reveal surprising family histories of some the country’s most prominent public figures. With the help of Ancestry.com and historical documents, these stars embark on exciting missions to discover their own heritage. After years of passed down family legends, it is finally time to set the record straight for their families and themselves and uncover the truth behind their ancestry. For some, that may mean tracing back several generations to distinct moments in world history.
This season features the following celebrities:
- Hilary Duff traces her family history back to medieval Scotland, discovering royalty in her lineage and an unbelievable tale of bravery.
- Jean Smart explores the curious tale of how her eight times great-grandmother roped her kids into a crime ring in colonial Massachusetts and then went on to be arrested for witchcraft with a surprising outcome.
- Jon Cryer travels to Boston and learns that his nine times great-grandfather was an indentured servant who made his way to America under harrowing circumstances.
- Laverne Cox uncovers new information about the inspiring life of her three times great grandfather who carved out his place in society just a few years after his emancipation from slavery. She begins her journey in Alabama, where she reviews her DNA results and historical documents reveal her ancestor’s tenacity.
- Megan Mullally chases the dark legacy of her father’s line and uncovers the story of how her two times great-grandmother persevered despite being caught in a cycle of domestic abuse.
- Molly Shannon travels to Ireland to unravel the mystery of her maternal line, uncovering ancestors who were forced to change their religion in the face of impending starvation before she unexpectedly meets some of her distant cousins along the way.
Ancestry, the leading family history company, is teaming up again with TLC as a sponsor of the upcoming season. As part of the show sponsorship, Ancestry provides exhaustive family history research on each of the featured celebrities to help make discoveries possible and build out the story of each episode.
WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? is produced by Shed Media (a division of Warner Bros. Unscripted & Alternative Television) and Lisa Kudrow and Dan Bucatinsky‘s Is Or Isn’t Entertainment for TLC.
Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag #WDYTYA, ‘Like’ WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? on Facebook.com/WDYTYA, and follow @WDYTYA on Twitter. Catch up on past seasons of WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? on TLC.com or by downloading the TLC Go app.
Offering remarkable real-life stories without judgment, TLC shares everyday heart, humor, hope, and human connection with programming genres that include fascinating families, heartwarming transformations, and life’s milestone moments. In 2017, TLC’s ratings increased by double digits (up a record +12% among women 25-54) and ranked as the #6 ad-supported cable network in Prime among W25-54.
TLC is a global brand available in more than 88 million homes in the US and 271 million households around the world. Viewers can enjoy their favorite shows anytime, anywhere through TLC GO – the network’s TVE offering featuring live and on demand access to complete seasons. A destination online, TLC.com offers in-depth fan sites and exclusive original video content. Fans can also interact with TLC on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Pinterest. TLC is part of Discovery (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), reaching 3 billion cumulative viewers in more than 220 countries and territories to satisfy curiosity and captivate superfans with a portfolio of premium nonfiction, lifestyle, sports and kids content brands.
Disclosure statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.