The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Wednesday, September 26, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Wednesday, September 26th, 2018:
Rumors Abound About Peoplelegacy.com
There is lots of chatter – and inaccurate information – about the Peoplelegacy.com issue of violating copyright by using Find A Grave content uploaded by Find A Grave members.
Just to clarify, here is my take on these rumors:
- Peoplelegacy.com was NOT created by a group of Find A Grave users dissatisfied with the recent move to the NEW Find A Grave platform and the elimination of the OLD platform. All of my research tells me that the Save Old Find A Grave group on Facebook nor any other group is behind the launch of Peoplelegacy.com.
- Peoplelegacy.com is NOT a plot by Ancestry.com or Find A Grave to test a different interface due to push back on the move to NEW Find A Grave. Yes, it is curious that Peoplelegacy.com was announced just as Find A Grave made the move to the new format. However, I feel it is just the creators of Peoplelegacy.com capitalizing on the pushback against the NEW Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave is not going to become a “pay site” just because it was purchased by Ancestry.com and they’ve moved to a new format. Ancestry.com has committed to making the site free. Anyone purporting to know that this is Ancestry’s strategy needs to produce evidence meaning “put up or shut up.”
I’m always amazed at how a community of genealogy researchers committed to proof and evidence can perpetuate these types of rumors about a genealogy product or company. Again, as I’ve said all along, the process to resolve the issues with Peoplelegacy.com is slow but deliberate. I’ll share any news I have when I have it about Peoplelegacy.com!
New Product at 23andMe
You may not have seen this new product at 23andMe OR it may be “hiding” from you! This morning I verified that 23andMe is offering a new “Health Lite” + Ancestry Service DNA test kit in addition to their Ancestry Service DNA test kit (an autosomal DNA test similar to AncestryDNA) and the Health + Ancestry Service DNA test kit.
Here’s what is going on as far as I can see:
- 23andMe has added more reports and extra features, including “carrier status” to their higher end Health + Ancestry Service test. Now there are 90+ health reports and the price has jumped from $199 USD to $229 USD.
- In addition, there is now a new mid-range product called Health Lite + Ancestry Service priced at $169 USD. This product has 40+ health reports.
- There are also rumors of a “high end” complete genome mapping product at 23andMe priced at $799 USD. I’ve only seen this pop up once while at the 23andMe site and I think they are selectively marketing this to existing customers to test the waters.
The best part about this new offering? If you click the Health Lite product (scroll down to mid-screen on the 23andMe website), you’ll see that the product is not available BUT you’ll get the full Health Service product for the $169 USD price – and save $60 USD!
Now if you don’t see the new Health Lite product at 23andMe, here’s what I recommend: 1) either delete all your 23andMe cookies from your web browser; or 2) use an “incognito” feature such as Google Chrome’s incognito window.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 25% on 23andMe Health + Ancestry Service DNA test kit plus get FREE SHIPPING! This offer is difficult to find: 1) SCROLL DOWN at the 23andMe site and it appears as if 23andMe has a NEW product configuration with three different products: Ancestry Service (autosomal DNA test like AncestryDNA), a new Health Lite + Ancestry Service (with 40+ health reports), and the Health + Ancestry Service (with 90+ health reports); 2) SCROLL DOWN and click Health Lite + Ancestry Service and you will see this pop-up message: “GREAT NEWS! You’ve been upgraded to our Health + Ancestry Service at no additional cost since the service you selected (Health Lite + Ancestry Service) is currently unavailable. Please note that you will receive all 90+ reports, but you can opt out of receiving your Carrier Status* and Genetic Health Risk* reports. We encourage you to review relevant information about Carrier Status* and Genetic Health Risk* reports in the link below.” The Health + Ancestry Service product, normally $229 USD now appears as $169 USD in your cart!
- Fall Sale – Save 30% on The Write Stuff: Telling the Story by Lisa Alzo The Write Stuff: Telling the Story is a six-week online writing journey with genealogist and writing coach Lisa Alzo of Research, Write, Connect! Register before October 31st, 2018, and save 30% off the regular price: Normally $149.00 USD, now just $99.00 USD! You must use coupon code fall18 at checkout to receive your discount! For more information visit https://www.genealogybargains.com/thewritestuff
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.