The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Wednesday, October 17th, 2018:
Is There a New Genealogy-Based Drama Destined for American Television?
Yesterday the website deadline.com posted an interesting article entitled ABC Nabs ‘Family History’ Genealogy Drama From Deborah Schoeneman & Mandeville As Put Pilot. It appears that the writer of the popular series Girls and The Newsroom Deborah Schoeneman has pitched a new series entitled Family History to ABC. While there aren’t many details and any airing is a long way off, here is what the article states about the new show:
“. . . the hourling [sic] family drama is inspired by the recent explosion in genetic genealogy testing. It follows a young tech reporter in the Bay area whose life changes when she discovers a family secret via a DNA-testing web site. The show explores nature versus nurture and how technology has caught up to our secrets. We may be the last generation to have secrets.”
I’ll keep you posted on anything I learn about the show including who might be cast in the lead roles as well as a possible airing date.
What’s On Your Genealogy Giving List?
Yesterday I discussed what item or items most genealogists and family historians would want to receive as gifts this upcoming holiday season. Well I know that for me Christmas is not just for receiving . . . it’s for GIVING as well! And as a genealogist I have a duty to somehow use my years of research to GIVE the gift of family history to friends and family.
So here is today’s question: what would you give a family member as a gift that somehow uses your genealogy research? A family tree chart that helps explain the family history? Would you give a cousin or sibling a DNA test kit to help further your research? How about a calendar with family photos and important dates related to your genealogy?
Keep in mind that if you plan on creating anything based on your research such as a photo book you will need some advance planning and turn-around time from the vendor. You really need to get started NOW if you plan to give family history gifts this holiday season.
Stay tuned to Abundant Genealogy . . . next week we’ll reveal our Holiday Gift Guide filled with ideas and how to’s to get you started!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- BCG Free Day of Quality Genealogy Education available online! Top genealogists Jeanne Larzalere Bloom, Elissa Scalise Powell, Rebecca Whitman Koford, Thomas W. Jones, and Judy G. Russell will present five one-hour lectures held at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City Friday, 19 October 2018 between 9 AM and 4:30 PM mountain U.S. time. The lectures are free and open to the public (registration is not required), and sponsored by the Board for Certification of Genealogists. All will be broadcast online (free registration is required, see below). The board is an independent certifying body and author of the updated 2014 Genealogy Standards.
- Save up to 50% on pre-order of The Family Tree Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Uncovering Your Ancestry and Researching Genealogy by Kenyatta Berry! This book is guaranteed to be the HOTTEST genealogy book this Fall! “The popularity of Family History has increased over the past five years due to TV shows like Genealogy Roadshow, Finding Your Roots, and Who Do You Think You Are? The ability to access records online has opened up the one time hobby for genealogy enthusiasts to the mainstream. Save 50% on Amazon Kindle version pre-order: regularly $19.99 USD, now just $9.99 USD and save 33% on print version pre-order: regularly $19.99 USD, now just $13.38 USD.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.