The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Wednesday, October 10th, 2018:
What Is Your “Exit Strategy” for Your Genealogy Data?
Yesterday we mentioned the demise of Google Plus, the social media platform launched in 2011 by Google which never really gained any traction. Between now and August 2019 when the plug will be pulled on Google Plus, users will need to extract and download as much of their content as possible (and if possible).
Google has a track record of “phasing out” apps and services (remember Google Reader and Google Wave?) and the truth is the same with any provider: you never know when some online service that you find useful will be bought out, incorporated into another program, or flat out shut down.
We’ve seen this in the genealogy and family history community as well: MyFamily.com which was owned by Ancestry.com shutdown after a 90-day notice to users. Mocavo was acquired by Findmypast and terminated.
So here’s my question to you: do you have an “exit strategy” for your genealogy data that you have uploaded to a site such as Find A Grave or Ancestry or even Blogger? If you were given only a 30-day notice, would you be able to gather all of your data and export it in a format that is useful? The truth is, you should ALWAYS know how to back out of any program where you’ve uploaded data PLUS you should already have the data backed up on your computer.
And remember that sometimes there is no notice: the recent temporary shutdown of Rootsweb while servers were being rebuilt left many genealogists and genealogy societies with NO ACCESS to their content.
So, do you have an exit strategy for your genealogy data?
Genealogy Gift Ideas for the Giving and the Getting
I hate to mention it really, but it is almost that time of year when we think about gift giving whether it is for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or perhaps Festivus. It is never too early to start dropping hints to your spouse, partner, children and grandchildren as to what genealogy book, app or gadget you’d love to receive. In addition, don’t forget that your years of genealogy work can make great gifts for friends and families in the form of photo books, custom printed family trees, and even pillows, mugs, blankets and more.
This week I’ll be asking followers over at Abundant Genealogy (https://abundantgenealogy.com) two questions:
- What item would you most like to receive this holiday season that would help further your genealogy research?
- What item would you give a friend or family member to help them better understand their own family history?
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- FREE WEBINAR In Search of My Brother’s Mother – An Adoption Story presented by Beth Foulk, Wednesday, October 10th, 7:00 pm Central – “I always knew my brother was adopted. It wasn’t a big deal within our little family.. So when our Mother passed, and the adoption files were uncovered after more than 50 years in the back of a closet, I couldn’t have imagined the journey we’d embark on. Pull up a chair. I’ll tell you the story….genealogy research and all.”
- End of Summer Sale at MyHeritage DNA – $59 USD!For just $59 USD you can get the popular autosomal DNA test kit similar to AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA and other DNA testing companies. You’ll have access to more ethnicities than any other major vendor PLUS receive your results much faster than other companies. Limited Time Offer – DON’T DELAY!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.