The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Wednesday, November 21, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Wednesday, November 21st, 2018:
FamilySearch Lutheran records
Amid all the Black Friday sales and genealogy stuff you could spend money on, it is nice to hear about a HUGE freebie like this: Family Search has added an astounding 79.5 million indexed Lutheran records from Germany, and almost 1 million more from the Ireland 1901 Census. These new additions to the 8 BILLION free record collection at FamilySearch will keep me and many genealogists busy over the holiday weekend.
Searchable historic records are made available on FamilySearch.org through the help of thousands of volunteers from around the world. These volunteers transcribe (index) information from digital copies of handwritten records to make them easily searchable online. More volunteers are needed (particularly those who can read foreign languages) to keep pace with the large number of digital images being published online at FamilySearch.org. Learn more about volunteering to help provide free access to the world’s historic genealogical records online at https://FamilySearch.org/indexing.
Here in the United States, we celebrate the national holiday of Thanksgiving, giving thanks for the abundance of the harvest and successes of the year. I want to wish all my followers who will be sharing a meal with family and friends a Happy Thanksgiving.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- LAST DAY! 50% Off My Heritage Complete Plan! MyHeritage is offering a special discount on its annual Complete Plan price EXCLUSIVELY to friends of Genealogy Bargains. MyHeritage is one of the fastest growing genealogy sites and the best place to build your family tree, with historical collections including billions of records. This special offer will give you EVERYTHING on MyHeritage for the lowest price. Click HERE to get your 50% off deal on the MyHeritage Complete package. This offer is for new subscribers only*. The normal price is $250.74 USD and you’ll pay just $125 USD for a full year’s access
- Save 50% on ALL DNA DOWNLOADS!Special BLACK FRIDAY SALE at Hack Genealogy! Don’t miss this opportunity – get ANY DNA Boot Camp digital download for 50% off starting now through Monday, November 26th, when you use promo code BLACKFRIDAY at checkout! Titles include:
- Getting Started with DNA and Genealogy
- Additional DNA Tools and Concepts
- Begging for Spit: Encouraging Others to Test
- DNA & Health: What Can You Really Discover?
- Finding Birth Families Using DNA
- GEDMatch & Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence Digital Download
- Interpreting Your AncestryDNA Results
- Interpreting Your FTDNA and 23andMe Results
- Painting Your Chromosomes with Your Ancestors
- Researching Difficult DNA Matches & Understanding Ethnicity Estimates
- Solving Family Mysteries with DNA
- Using Autosomal DNA for 18th and 19th Century Mysteries
- Using Y-DNA, Mitochondrial DNA, and X-DNA for Genealogy Research
- Y-DNA Projects
Visit http://hackgenealogy.com/features/store/ and use promo code BLACKFRIDAY when you check out. Remember, this sale is valid through Monday, November 26th, 2018.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.