The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Wednesday, November 14th, 2018:
MyHeritage DNA Announces New Feature: Shared Ancestral Places
I was able to get a “sneak peek” at this announcement last week at the MyHeritage LIVE event in Oslo, Norway and it is now official! MyHeritage DNA has added a NEW FEATURE to its DNA test results – Shared Ancestral Places. From the MyHeritage blog: “Shared Ancestral Places refer to towns, countries, or U.S. states that appear in your family tree as well as in the family trees of your DNA Matches, where birth or death events of your ancestors (and those of your DNA Matches’ ancestors) took place. These places are identified going back up to 10 generations and can play a vital role in family history research.” Click HERE to read more about this feature and don’t forget that now through November 30th, DNA data uploads from AncestryDNA and other vendors is FREE! Starting December 1st, MyHeritage will begin charging a FEE for these uploads . . . the pricing has not been set as of right now. Click HERE for more information on how to upload your DNA test data to MyHeritage!
MyHeritage FREE ACCESS to Military Records EXTENDED
If you weren’t able to take advantage of the various FREE ACCESS offers at genealogy sites over this past weekend – in honor of the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I – then here’s your LAST CHANCE! MyHeritage has EXTENDED access to over 47 MILLION military records on MyHeritage Super Search through Friday, November 16th! Visit Abundant Genealogy (https://abundantgenealogy.com) for the details!
DNA Price Wars Heat Up Ahead of Black Friday
You may have heard about Black Friday, but did you realize that this year it is a “month long” shopping extravaganza? I’ve been seeing constant Black Friday sales campaigns not just for online sales, but brick and mortar as well!
In October there was some fierce competition among the “Big 5” personal DNA testing companies—23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and MyHeritage DNA—with many sales promos for Family History Month. Well, now it seems there are various Thanksgiving and Holiday sales that have started.
The lowest price right now for a personal DNA test kit that provides results to use in genealogy and family history research is $49 USD. Both Family Tree DNA’s “Family Finder” autosomal test as well as the MyHeritage DNA test are available for that price. Only MyHeritage has a FREE SHIPPING deal however: purchase 2 or more kits and get FREE standard shipping. And guess what? There are similar low prices and the same free shipping deals for the UK, Canada, and other countries from MyHeritage. Visit DNA Bargains at https://dnabargains.com for details!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- TODAY ONLY! FREE EBOOK Preserve Your Family Pictures: How To Save Photo Heirlooms for Future Generations by Amber Richards – “Do you value your family pictures and photographs? Then, this is a must-read guide for you! Don’t risk losing forever these irreplaceable treasures. Our family pictures are priceless, a visual record of memories and loved ones. They deserve and require special care to guarantee they will still be around to pass on to the next generation. Many who enjoy family genealogy also have amazing collections of vintage family photos that need extra care in order to preserve them. Learn how to take the practical steps to protect your family photos, both the physical prints, and digital formats. Ensure that your treasures will survive and you don’t face the tragic loss of these pictures. Download your copy now.” Print version $9.75, Amazon Kindle version is FREE – usually these are ONE DAY ONLY sales so get yours now! Click HERE to download!
- Save up to 95% Off 11″ x 8.5″ Personalized Hardcover Photo Books from Printerpix! Get ready for holiday gifts or stock up for your family reunion next summer! With this amazing offer at Printerpix you get your choice of the book pages below. Sale valid TODAY ONLY Wednesday, November 14th.
One 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Book, regularly $52.95 USD, now just $5.99 USD!
Three 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Books, regularly $158.85 USD, now just $12 USD!
Five 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Books, regularly $264.75 USD, now just $20 USD!
Ten 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Books, regularly $529.90 USD, now just $34 USD!
Fifteen 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Books, regularly $794.25 USD, now just $45 USD!
Twenty 11” x 8.5” Personalized 40-Page Hard Cover Photo Books, regularly $1,059 USD, now just $55 USD!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.