The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Tuesday, September 25th, 2018:
New Update on the Peoplelegacy.com Issue
If you haven’t been in the loop on the issues involving the new website People Legacy (https://www.peoplelegacy.com) and how it has misappropriated user content from the Find A Grave website (https://www.findagrave.com), then visit Abundant Genealogy for the latest news. Here’s what is going on in a nutshell:
- Most images have been removed from the actual records at People Legacy; however the images still remain in the search results with the peoplelegacy.com watermark.
- We’ve received feedback from several users that only the US-based memorials from Find A Grave are appearing on People Legacy. My theory: if it is true that the People Legacy site is originating out of Cyprus – a European Union (EU) country – they may be trying to avoid prosecution of EU copyright laws by not including any content outside of the United States. It is more difficult for a US-based business like Ancestry.com (parent company of Find A Grave) to go after copyright violators overseas.
- Also, some Find A Grave users have reported inaccuracies in information when comparing their memorials with the records posted at People Legacy. Some of the information is out of date by as much as a year. This leads me to believe that the actual “spidering” or acquisition of the content was NOT recent and may have happened a year ago. Bringing People Legacy online was timed to coincide with the phasing out of the “old” Find A Grave platform and transition to the new platform. People Legacy may have wanted to capitalize on some dissatisfaction by genealogists with the new Find A Grave platform.
Is It Me or Is It “Quiet” in the Online Genealogy Community?
Besides the People Legacy controversy, it has been a rather quiet month in the online genealogy and family history community. I get this feeling that there will be some BIG announcements starting October 1st since it marks the start of Family History Month here in the United States. I’ve seen a lack of DNA sales and promotions and not much chatter on Facebook and other social media sites. Anyone want to make a prediction as to the next big announcement for genealogy?
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 90% on The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy eBook from Amazon Kindle – “See what genetic testing for ancestry can do for you. This ebook discusses how to use DNA testing in genealogy, from selecting the best test to interpreting your DNA test results and branching out your genealogical family tree.” Normally $29.99 USD in print, the price for the Amazon Kindle version is just $2.99 USD!
- Save up to 65% on Dragon Naturally Speaking software! Amazon has an AMAZING deal on this voice to text software! I use Dragon every day and not just because of the arthritis in my hands . . . it is often more convenient just to speak commands into the computer when I am working on genealogy. I couldn’t get half as much research and work done if I didn’t have Dragon Naturally Speaking. I love how it recognizes my voice and “builds” a vocabulary of words and terms that I frequently use. Plus, I draft all my books with Dragon using Microsoft Word . . . I can state commands like “Next line” or “semicolon” and it knows what I mean! Save 65% and don’t miss this sale! Regular price is $99.99 USD, now pay just $34.99 USD!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.