The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Tuesday, September 18th, 2018:
IMPORTANT: Major Changes for The Genealogy Do-Over!
As announced last night over at Abundant Genealogy, The Genealogy Do-Over, an educational initiative that I created in January 2015, will be undergoing a major “reset” starting in October 2018.
In a nutshell, here is what you need to know if you are a current participant in The Genealogy Do-Over OR if you have an interest in improving the way you do genealogy and family history research:
- A three-month process of converting the collaborative online community via The Genealogy Do-Over Facebook Group to a static, self-serve website will commence in October 2018.
- Participant input will also be solicited at the Facebook Group and change management communications will be posted there as well. My goal is to be as open and transparent as possible about The Genealogy Do-Over.
- A new initiative called Smarter Genealogy will be launched over the next three months and will not be “cycle” based; the intent is to provide “just in time” training to genealogists and family historians of all skill levels when they need it.
- Smarter Genealogy will offer how-to videos, “success sheets” with instructions and tips and more.
How Do You Handle Cherished Family Recipes?
I love my family recipes especially my mother’s recipe for Date Nut Bread and Welsh Cookies! I also have other recipes that I’ve created and that I want to pass on to future generations. Is preserving family recipes one of your ongoing projects or is it on your project wish list as the family historian?
Here’s an easy way to collect recipes from family members and create a family cookbook – just in time for the holidays! The Family Cookbook Project has helped over 7,000 families document their recipes and is having a HUGE SALE on their software program! Normally priced at $99.99 USD, you can get it today for just $15 USD! Plus there are other packages which include 5 or 10 printed cookbooks at savings of 85% or more as well!
Visit genealogybargains.com and check out today’s article entitled Create Your Own Family Cookbook (click HERE). There you’ll find more information about the cookbook creation process, information on pricing, and even more info on how you can run a fundraiser for your genealogy society, school or church using the Family Cookbook Project!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- DNA Boot Camp: Save 30% on Researching Difficult DNA Matches & Understanding Ethnicity Estimates. Periodically I host and produce a half-day online DNA educational experience called DNA Boot Camp. The next boot camp will be held on Saturday, September 29th, 2018 with DNA expert Mary Eberle! There are not many spaces left and if you register before Monday, September 24th you can save 30% on the registration fee – pay just $19.99 USD!
- Save 50% on Health Reports at Vitagene! The Vitagene Health Report product uses your raw DNA file from 23andme, AncestryDNA or MyHeritage to create a health report for diet, fitness & supplementation. Regularly $49 USD, now just $24.50 USD. Visit Genealogy Bargains for the promo code and details!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.