The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Tuesday, October 9th, 2018:
Want to Join Me for a Week of Genealogy Research in Salt Lake City?
Have you ever visited the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah for genealogical research? If you have and you feel that you haven’t really gotten enough from this amazing resources, I have good news: join me and other genealogists in Salt Lake City this December for the Salt Lake Christmas Tour.
From December 2-8, 2018, I will be presenting lectures on various family history topics at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel which is located right next door to the Library. Besides getting to hang out with me all week, you also get access to genealogy consultants who can help you find the resources you need to break through those brick walls.
Here’s what you may not know about the Salt Lake Christmas Tour:
- A group 100 genealogists from all over the world meet up for a week of research and fun!
- We stay at the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel (located behind the Library) at a discounted room rate!
- We have breakfast together each morning (included in the tour price) before the Library opens.
- Special tour “experts” are available to help with research at the Library.
- There are over 35 different classes – including DNA – offered as part of the Tour.
- PLUS you get to see Temple Square decorated for Christmas and take advantage of using the Family History Library without the crowds!
The Early Bird registration for the Salt Lake Christmas tour ends on October 15th so take advantage of this offer TODAY! Visit Abundant Genealogy and look for our recent article about the tour!
Goodbye Google Plus
As reported by several tech blogs and media outlets yesterday, Google has FINALLY decided to abandon its social media platform Google Plus which launched in 2011. Google Plus was intended to compete head-to-head with Facebook as an online gathering, collaboration and sharing platform that integrated with Google Hangouts and other Google services.
Google Plus never really took off, even in the genealogy and family history community. When compared to the 2+ Billion users at Facebook, many business users (like me) felt that Google Plus was a waste of time since content was never consumed or shared as much as at other social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
In addition, Google revealed a major data breach that occurred earlier this year on the Google Plus platform yet the disclosure was only made yesterday. According to Google, the amount and type of data compromised did not warrant notification to Google Plus users.
Google has stated that there will be a 10-month phasing out period before Google Plus moves to the Google Graveyard (along with Google Reader and Google Wave –remember those services?) in August 2019.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save BIG on Genealogy Bargains Value Pack at Flip-Pal mobile scanner!I LOVE my Flip-Pal mobile scanner – it is in my backpack or wheelie bag with my laptop wherever I go. I’ve used it to scan family photos when visiting relatives, I’ve even scanned photos in frames on the wall! And I’ve scanned military medals, jewelry and more. Save $34 USD with the Genealogy Bargains Value Pack from Flip-Pal! Regularly $228.96 USD, now just $194.96 USD!
- Save 50% on Health Reports at Vitagene – Using Your DNA Data from 23andMe, AncestryDNA and MyHeritage DNA! The Vitagene Health Report product uses your raw DNA file from 23andme, AncestryDNA or MyHeritage. Health Report for diet, fitness & supplementation. Regularly $49 USD, now just $24.50 USD with promo code DNA50 at checkout!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.