The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018:
Curious Changes at Peoplelegacy.com
If you’ve been following the Peoplelegacy.com saga, I have an update for you and it is posted over at Abundant Genealogy (https://abundantgenealogy.com). If you are unfamiliar with the issues, in short: a new site called People Legacy has misappropriated user content from the Find A Grave website.
The latest development: while the peoplelegacy.com watermark which was plastered across many, if not all, of the images at People Legacy has been removed . . . it has been replaced with a mysterious “Wiki Heritage” watermark in the lower right-hand corner. Is there anyone familiar with the term? Is there a website or a group behind Wiki Heritage?
In addition, the People Legacy site has made an attempt at proper attribution for photos by including a “photo credit” with the names of the original owners from the Find A Grave site. Many genealogists familiar with the basics of copyright laws in the United States know that this use of the images is still considered a copyright violation, attribution or not.
Stay tuned as I continue to investigate what’s going on with People Legacy and why it is taking Ancestry.com (owner of the Find A Grave site) so long to resolve the copyright violations.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 30% on Beginner Genealogy Resources at Family Tree Magazine! “Since being passed by Congress in 2001, Family History Month as been observed annually during the month of October. The month now celebrates a great deal of promotion and recognition – from community events to lectures and workshops held by historians and funeral service professionals, there are plenty of ways to get out and get inspired. Family Tree Magazine is celebrating Family History month in a big way. Every week, Family Tree Shop will have exclusive savings and deals. The deal changes each week, so check back to see the new sale every Sunday. This week save 30% on resources to get started in genealogy with code BEGIN30! But don’t wait, this sale ends Saturday!”
- TODAY ONLY! Save up to 63% on Picture Keeper! Picture Keeper is an amazing device that looks like a simple USB flash drive but it is so much more. Yes, you could buy a cheap flash drive and take the DIY approach but Picture Keeper has an automated system of making sure ALL of your photos are backed up! Right now you can get the 16GB Picture Keeper with 8,000-Photo Capacity, regularly $99.99 USD, for just $37 USD!Sale prices also apply to the 4GB, 8GB and 32GB sizes. Sale valid TODAY ONLY, Tuesday, October 2nd.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.