The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Tuesday, November 13th, 2018:
Does Ancestry Have an UNFAIR Advantage with Access to FREE US Veterans’ Records?
Are you familiar with the good works being done by Reclaim the Records? Led by activist Brooke Schreier Ganz, this organization ensures there is a fair and level playing field when it comes to access to records that SHOULD BE FREE to genealogists and family historians.
Here is the latest battle that Brooke and her group are fighting: access to the Beneficiary Identification Records Locator Subsystem (BIRLS) Death File from the US Veterans Affairs Department, which according to Reclaim the Records . . .”This is a Veterans Benefits Administration database that provides information on deceased individuals including name, birth and death dates, branch of service, and enlistment and release dates.”
It appears that Ancestry and its site Fold3 were granted EXCLUSIVE access to the BIRLS database back in 2011 and since then they are the ONLY outlet for this information – and behind a PAYWALL of course! This doesn’t seem fair, especially since US taxpayer money is being used to create these types of records and technically they are in the public domain. Click HERE to read the whole story and please consider making a donation – no matter how small – to Reclaim the Records!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 47% on Klikel Family Tree Display at Amazon!– If you are looking for a way to use your genealogy research and digitized family photos here is a great idea . . . a metallic family tree display from Klikel. While there are many other companies making similar products, the Klikel line are the BEST in terms of construction, durability, and design. My recommendation is to get the Klikel Family Tree Frame Display with 10 Hanging Picture Photo Frames priced at just $39.99 USD!
- $49 USD for MyHeritage DNA during Thanksgiving Sale – PLUS FREE SHIPPING! Get MyHeritage DNA (the same test as AncestryDNA and other major DNA companies) for only $49 USD! This is the LOWEST PRICE EVER and you don’t need to buy two or more tests like other current DNA promotions! PLUS special pricing for UK, Canada, Australia and other countries during the MyHeritage DNA Holiday Sale!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.