The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Thursday, September 27, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Thursday, September 27th, 2018:
How Do You Handle The “Dark Side” of Your Family History?
There’s been quite a bit of posting over at Facebook, as usual, about US politics and particularly the Senate hearings on the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the United States Supreme Court. I’m not looking to get into a political discussion in the genealogy community, but with women (and men) coming forward to tell their own stories of sexual assault and abuse, the situation brings forth an interesting question. How do you handle certain family stories or discoveries concerning uncomfortable topics such as rape, murder, domestic violence, alcoholism, and more?
In 2013, I wrote an article entitled Family History Begins at the End of Your Comfort Zone which is posted HERE over at the Family History Daily. I discuss some of the ways you can handle a variety of “uncomfortable” information about family members (deceased as well as living) that you encounter during the research process.
In addition, what do you do (or have you done) about your own recollections of uncomfortable situations? Have you documented these instances in writing or some fixed format such as an audio recording? What is the value of doing so? And once documented, what do you intend to do with the content?
Have You Backed Up Your Genealogy Research?
Did you catch the recent article posted online, and circulating among the genealogy community over at Facebook, about how the valued historic newspaper website Fulton History was hacked? And how it was “held hostage” by the Russian hackers?
The article – Grondahl: Russian hackers no match for digital archivist – was published on Tuesday, September 25th, in the Times Union newspaper (Albany, New York) and highlights not just the hacking incident, but the work of Tom Tryniski in digitizing over 44 million historic newspaper articles. Luckily, thanks to numerous data backups, Tryniski was able to restore access to the Fulton History website in short order.
In reading the article, many genealogists have become concerned about their own research and whether it is properly preserved for generations to come. Are you ready to seriously tackle the issue of “future proofing” your years of genealogy work? If so, check out today’s updated article Money Saving Resources for Preserving Family Photos, Slides and Home Movies over at Abundant Genealogy.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Southtree Digital Media: Get a $75 USD voucher for use towards digital media conversion services for just $19 USD! This is an AMAZING deal right now – you can get a voucher for digital conversion services at Groupon for up to 80% off! Example: the $75 USD voucher is just $19 USD and with our special promo code below, the final price is just $15.20 USD! Southtree is a highly regarded leader in the digital conversion business and a new vendor at Groupon with HIGH RATINGS for their work converting your cherished video tapes to DVD!
- Google Birthday Sale at Family Tree Magazine! To celebrate Google’s birthday, Family Tree Magazine is offering an EXTRA $5 off its Google Collections when you buy before September 29th with promo code GOOGLE5. Get the Google Your Genealogy MEGA Collection or Mastering Google Drive Toolkit Bundle for savings of up to 77% off and learn how to use Google to its full potential when it comes to your genealogy research!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.