The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, October 8, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, October 8th, 2018:
How Do You Plan to Celebrate Family History Month?
Many genealogical societies will be hosting various events including one-day seminars and workshops during October 2018 in celebration of Family History Month. This past weekend I had the honor of speaking at the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society in Pleasant Hill, California. What a great bunch of enthusiastic family historians! My lectures included:
- How Do I Know What I Don’t Know? Fast-tracking Your Genealogy Education
- Successful Cluster and Collateral Searching
- The Genealogy Do-over: A Year of Learning From My Mistakes
- They’re Alive: Searching for Living Persons
Have you checked out the upcoming events at your local or state genealogical society? To get started visit the Federation of Genealogical Societies homepage at https://fgs.org/ to find a society and also visit Conference Keeper at http://conferencekeeper.org/ for a list of upcoming Family History Month events in your area!
How Safe is Your Genealogy Research?
Today is the anniversary of the Great Chicago Fire in 1871 and the second week of October has been designated as National Fire Prevention Week. Over the weekend while I was in California I was made aware of the severe danger that fire can present to our genealogy research:
- One of the seminar attendees told me how she lost ALL of her research in a house fire two years ago and had to start over!
- This weekend was the first anniversary of the horrific North Bay Fires in Sonoma and Napa counties that killed 44 people and cost over $14.5 billion in damages.
- And there was a 4,000 acre brush fire in Solano County not far from where I was staying . . . the sky was filled with smoke and I could tell that given past experience, people were nervous to say the least.
What steps have you taken to prepare your genealogical research for a disaster, whether it is fire, flood or some other mishap? Have you started to digitize family photos, diaries, letters and other precious heirlooms? Have you backed up your genealogy data with at least one backup residing in the “cloud” or at least away from your computer? NOW is the time to get busy with a “genealogy disaster preparedness” plan and make sure that your years of family history work does not get lost in an instant!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 40% off Genealogy Cheat Sheets at Family Tree Magazine! “Family Tree Magazine is celebrating Family History month in a big way. Every week, Family Tree Shop will have exclusive savings and deals. The deal changes each week, so check back to see the new sale every Sunday. This week save 40% on all cheat sheets! Prices are as marked but don’t wait, this sale ends Saturday!
- Save up to 50% on pre-order of The Family Tree Toolkit: A Comprehensive Guide to Uncovering Your Ancestry and Researching Genealogy by Kenyatta Berry! This book is guaranteed to be the HOTTEST genealogy book this Fall! “The popularity of Family History has increased over the past five years due to TV shows like Genealogy Roadshow, Finding Your Roots, and Who Do You Think You Are? The ability to access records online has opened up the one time hobby for genealogy enthusiasts to the mainstream. Save 50% on Amazon Kindle version pre-order: regularly $19.99 USD, now just $9.99 USD. Save 33% on print version pre-order: regularly $19.99 USD, now just $13.38 USD!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.