The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Thursday, October 18, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Thursday, October 18th, 2018:
Shorter Genealogy Updates for the Next Week
I am on a combination vacation/business trip over the course of the next week which means that the regular Genealogy Updates may be a bit shorter in length. I am currently staying at my condo in Palm Springs, California where the weather is sunny and a very warm 90 F! Over the weekend I will be traveling to Mission Viejo, California to speak at the South Orange County California Genealogical Society 2018 Family History Seminar on Saturday, October 20th. I’ll be back in Chicago starting Wednesday next week before I head off to Oslo, Norway for the MyHeritage LIVE! Event November 2-4, 2018!
How Much Do You Spend on Your Genealogy?
A few years ago there was some outrageous economic/market research study done on the genealogy market and here is one statement that really stood out: genealogists spend up to $18,000 USD a year on their genealogy hobby!
Now I find that hard to believe unless the study is factoring in things such as heritage travel to one’s ancestral homeland or research trips. And I don’t think I’ll ever find out the study’s methodology since the price of the study is about $3,000 US!
But here’s my question to you and it is two-fold:
- Have you ever realistically looked at what you spend in a given year related to your genealogy and family history passion? This includes online subscriptions, memberships to genealogical and historical societies, travel for research trips, purchases of books and webinars, and more.
- And what discounts would you most like to see in the genealogy market? Think about which items are rarely discounted such as subscription renewals at Ancestry.com. Would you participate in a loyalty program at a genealogy vendor such as Ancestry which rewarded you with points for purchases of DNA test kits, or indexing records? Much like an airline rewards program, what if you could trade those points in for a discount on a subscription renewal or a free DNA test kit?
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Spooky savings during MyHeritage DNA Sale – just $59 USD!Uncover your ethnic origins and find new relatives with our simple DNA test. Your DNA reveals your unique heritage — the ethnic groups and geographic regions you originate from PLUS find new relatives you never knew existed through your shared DNA! BONUS! Get FREE SHIPPING when you order 2 or more MyHeritage DNA test kits! No promo code needed – discount calculated at checkout!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.