The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, September 24, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, September 24th, 2018:
Update on PeopleLegacy.com
Here is the latest on the situation with new startup site PeopleLegacy.com using copyrighted content from Find A Grave users: you can find an update from Find A Grave over at their blog/news site: Taking action on improper use of material from Find A Grave. The statement is very brief and indicates that they are pursuing the copyright violations vigorously.
I realize that many users are frustrated with having their personal content uploaded to the Find A Grave site stolen and littered with the peoplelegacy.com logo. My recommendation, still, is to sit tight and let Ancestry and Find A Grave handle this. Also understand that any public communication in terms of updates will be brief; they don’t want to reveal their strategy NOR do they want to post anything on social media that could be used in a legal action later on.
Keep checking back at Abundantgenealogy.com for the latest updates on PeopleLegacy.com
DNA Boot Camp
Did you know that periodically I host an online DNA Boot Camp with amazing educational content presented by DNA expert Mary Eberle? We have a brand new half-day event entitled Researching Difficult DNA Matches & Understanding Ethnicity Estimates this Saturday, September 29th and you can still get the early bird registration and save 30%! For just $19.99 USD you get over 3 hours of webinar content plus useful handout materials. And you get access to these materials and the recordings for up to one year after the live online event!
I spoke with Mary last night and here is what she said about the upcoming DNA Boot Camp: “This DNA Boot Camp covers two useful DNA topics: (1) ethnicity estimates, including Ancestry’s updates to their ethnicity estimates and (2) researching difficult DNA matches. Discover how DNA ethnicity estimates can help with your family research. Also learn how to discover who many of your DNA matches are—even if they don’t provide much information. It can be frustrating to have good DNA matches with no trees. But many times, there are clues to extract for determining how your matches are related to you. These two topics will add to your DNA toolbox so you can maximize your DNA testing.”
And I agree! If you’re confused with the latest change in the ethnicity estimates at Ancestry DNA and if you’ve been confused by all the different types of matches from your DNA test results, this boot camp is for you!
Visit Hack Genealogy at https://hackgenealogy.com or look for today’s post at Genealogy Bargains to register!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save on MyHeritage DNA! Don’t forget that there are still some DNA sales out there and MyHeritage has the LOWEST price right now both for US and Canadian residents. You can get an autosomal DNA test kit – which is the same basic DNA test sold by 23andMe, AncestryDNA and others – for just $59 USD or $79 CAD. And there’s FREE SHIPPING when you order two or more kits! Also, if you’ve already tested with another company, consider uploading your DNA test data to MyHeritage for FREE . . this offer expires December 1st when MyHeritage will institute a charge for uploading DNA test data.
- Save over 76% on Google Your Genealogy MEGA Collection from Family Tree Magazine! This is an amazing deal if you want to up your tech ed on using Google for genealogy research. You get 11 digital resources (all downloadable . . . that means no shipping fee!), regularly priced at $417.96 USD for just $99 USD!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.