The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, October 29, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, October 29th, 2018:
Yesterday I posted an extensive article entitled AncestryDNA Warns Against DNA Test Kits Sold on Amazon by Unauthorized Resellers. Here’s a brief summary and why you need to be careful when purchasing AncestryDNA test kits!
- Always purchase from the AncestryDNA website when possible. You are guaranteed to get an authentic AncestryDNA test kit and the best possible customer experience.
- When shopping for AncestryDNA on Amazon, make sure you are purchasing from “AncestryDNA Official” as a seller. There are several third-party sellers that are offering discount prices on Amazon, but they are not officially recognized as resellers by Ancestry.
- These resellers often purchase large lots of AncestryDNA test kits during a sale (like the recent Family History Month sale when AncestryDNA was priced at just $59 USD), and then resell them via Amazon or Ebay or other sites for anywhere from $69 USD to $89 USD.
- AncestryDNA has posted the following warning on Amazon listings for AncestryDNA test kits: “WARNING: AncestryDNA highly discourages the purchase of our DNA kit from unauthorized resellers. To ensure the best experience and service, please purchase directly from AncestryDNA Official. DNA kits that are fraudulently purchased and then resold through Amazon may be deactivated by AncestryDNA, and may not be eligible for a refund.”
The article also covers the difference between a reseller and an affiliate for AncestryDNA. Both of my sites DNA Bargains and Genealogy Bargains are official affiliates for AncestryDNA. This means each site must comply with strict marketing and disclosure rules and always delivers official AncestryDNA test kits when purchased.
FREE MyHeritage LIVE Streamed Content
As many of my followers know, I’m headed off to Oslo, Norway mid-week to attend the first ever MyHeritage LIVE event from November 2-4, 2018! And guess what? Content for this user conference will be LIVE STREAMED!
There are three lecture tracks: Genealogy, DNA, and Hands-On Workshops with over 35 individual classes during the two-day event. Besides moderating a panel discussion entitled Panel Discussion: DNA, Genealogy and Privacy, I will also be presenting two lectures: Turning MyHeritage Clues Into Genealogy To Do’s and Newspaper Research Strategies Using MyHeritage.
Visit https://live2018.myheritage.com/ for more information on live streaming content which will begin Friday, November 2nd for those in Australia and on Saturday, November 3rd for the US, Canada, UK and Europe.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
THIS WEEK ONLY! Save 40% off the regular price of ALL courses at Research, Write, Connect! You must use coupon code SPOOKY18 at checkout to receive your discount! Sale valid through Thursday, November 1st! Click HERE to save – via Research, Write, Connect!
- Write Stuff I: Telling the Story, regularly priced at $149.00 USD, now just $89.40 USD
- Write Stuff II: Advancing the Story, regularly priced at $149.00 USD, now just $89.40 USD
- Discovering Genealogy, regularly priced at $87.00 USD, now just $52.20 USD
- Write Stuff: Telling the Story – Homeschooling, regularly priced at $149.00 USD, now just $89.40 USD
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.