The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, October 22, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, October 22nd, 2018:
Genetic Genealogy Hits the “Big Time” with 60 Minutes Segment featuring CeCe Moore!
I’ve always been a big fan of watching 60 Minutes on CBS each Sunday evening (and I get irked with sports delays the broadcast!). Watching 60 Minutes is a family tradition and last night I was especially intrigued with the first segment entitled Inside the genetic genealogy being used to solve crimes.
During the 20-minute portion of the show, Steve Kroft attempted to cover quite bit of ground including:
- GEDMatch: how it was created, the founders and how it is being used by law enforcement for solving cold case crimes.
- Genetic Genealogy: with an interview of genetic genealogist CeCe Moore, 60 Minutes covered the issue of using good old-fashioned genealogy research methodology to solve these cases – it can’t be done with DNA matching alone!
- Parabon: the company based in Reston, Virginia that is working with law enforcement to develop tools to solve crimes involving DNA samples.
- Privacy: briefly covered (and not covered enough, in my opinion) the concept of privacy and DNA uploads in public databases.
Visit my post at Abundant Genealogy right now if you want to watch the segment in its entirety for FREE! Also, make sure you visit the link to the 60 Minutes website which offers additional videos covering content that was not included in the original segment.
And I also MUST put a plug in for the DNA Boot Camp on GEDMatch that I am moderating for DNA expert Mary Eberle on Saturday, November 17th. Right now you can save 30% on early bird registration for GEDMatch & Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence Boot Camp! You’ll get over 3 hours of live DNA education, substantial syllabus materials, plus access to the recorded webinars after the live online event! Regularly $25.99 USD, now just $19.99 USD. Visit Abundant Genealogy for more information.
Would You Like To Be a Better Family Storyteller?
One of the best ways to share your genealogy and family history research is to not only preserve those family stories, but to write compelling narratives that friends and family will absolutely love! I’ve been able to develop my writing skills over the years, but not everyone can just sit down and work “magic” with years of genealogy research. That’s where my friend and writing expert Lisa Alzo of Research, Write, Connect! can help!
TODAY ONLY, Lisa is offering a special FLASH SALE on her highly-rated online writing course The Write Stuff: Telling the Story. This is a six-week online writing journey that you can do at your own pace and start at any time. You get to work with genealogist and writing coach Lisa Alzo to start writing family stories NOW!
Key Goals of The Write Stuff: Telling the Story
- Build Your Writing Skills: Learn writing skills and techniques to produce a quality personal or family history; build on the skills each week.
- Work at Your Own Pace: Work at your own pace. Complete small assignments to help boost your confidence and overcome your fears and anxiety about writing.
- Get Feedback: Receive constructive and helpful feedback to find your voice and improve with each assignment.
The Write Stuff: Telling the Story includes:
- Seven (7) instructional videos
- Five (5) assignments and assignment checklists
- Over a dozen (12) handouts, templates, and worksheets
- Writing samples
- Access to Private Facebook Group for group sharing and interaction
Save 40% TODAY ONLY when you use promo code HURRY18 – visit Genealogy Bargains for more information or go to the Research, Write, Connect site at www.researchwriteconnect.com and click on Store.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- FREE WEBINAR 10 Eastern European Genealogy Resources You Might be Missing presented by Lisa Alzo, Wednesday, October 24th, 1:00 pm Central – “While church registers are the most popular and useful sources for tracing most Eastern European ancestors, and civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths provide even more details, there are other record groups to be searched that may prove useful, especially in the absence of church and vital records for your locality. This webinar will discuss available, census, tax lists, land, military, and other records and how to access them.”
- Save 30% on ALL DOWNLOADS at Family Tree Magazine! Family Tree Magazine is celebrating Family History month in a big way. Every week, Family Tree Shop will have exclusive savings and deals. The deal changes each week, so check back to see the new sale every Sunday. This week save 30% on all genealogy downloads! Prices are as marked but don’t wait, this sale ends Saturday! Family Tree can help you grow your family tree with downloads for every aspect of your research. We continually update our downloads category to offer you the best PDFs, videos, and forms for your genealogy research. Best of all, these resources are available immediately after purchase and you can take your research on-the-go. Download resources from the experts today! Sale valid through Saturday, October 27th, 2018.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.