The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, October 15, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, October 15th, 2018:
Senator Elizabeth Warren Releases DNA Test Results
This morning many national news outlets have announced that Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts has released her DNA test results to the public. You may remember that for several years there has been a controversy surrounding previous statements from Warren that she had Native American heritage. These claims were based on “family stories” and as genealogists we all know that such stories are not always reliable.
It appears that the DNA test results were interpreted by genetic expert Carlos Bustamante, a professor of genetics at Stanford University. In a video posted at Senator Warren’s website, Bustamante states “The facts suggest that you absolutely have a Native American ancestor in your pedigree.” Click HERE for the full report in PDF format.
Don’t count on the release of Warren’s results to end the controversy. Many have surmised that Warren’s move with her Native American heritage is in preparation for a possible run for the US presidency in 2020. Finally, again coming from the perspective of a family historian, I would want the next step to be a documented pedigree researched by a qualified professional genealogist. Doing so would help to quell any doubts about Warren’s ethnic background.
Ancestry Announces New Product – Ancestry Discovery Pack
It seems that Ancestry has announced a new product called Ancestry Discovery Pack, following the lead taken by MyHeritage which in September announced a new product called MyHeritage Family History Discovery Kit sold by UK retailer WH Smith.
The Discovery Pack includes the AncestryDNA test kit PLUS a 6-month US Discovery membership. The sale price for this bundle is currently $99 USD, which is 50% off the regular price of $198 USD if the products and services were purchased separately. This introductory price is valid through Sunday, October 21st and the sale is running in tandem with the AncestryDNA Family History Month Sale with AncestryDNA priced at just $69 USD.
It appears that the Ancestry Discovery Pack is geared towards the US market only at least for now. So what’s next in the DNA and genealogy industry? Since 23andMe and Family Tree DNA do not offer their own genealogy research services, they are left to partnering with a research provider. And Living DNA, the UK-based DNA personal testing service has already announced a partnership with Findmypast so there may be a bundled “discovery” product from those two companies in the near future.
RootsTech 2019 Early Bird Pricing ENDS TODAY!
There’s still time to register for RootsTech 2019 at the early bird rate! If you’re ready to learn the tools and techniques necessary to discover your family story, then purchase your 4-day pass for only $189 if you register by today, Monday, October 15th. Regularly priced at $299, that’s a savings of over $100!
In 2018, the event attracted more than 27,000 attendees from all 50 U.S. states and 47 different countries. RootsTech 2019 will offer attendees a full lineup of inspiring and well-known keynote speakers; over 300 informative sessions, including hands-on computer lab classes taught by industry professionals; interactive activities and helpful exhibitors in the expo hall; and entertaining evening events—all designed to inspire and empower personal family discoveries.
For more information visit our post on RootsTech 2019 over at Abundant Genealogy.
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 30% during AncestryDNA Family History Month Sale – just $69 USD!There’s no other family quite like yours, and AncestryDNA® can help you find a deeper connection to the people and places that shaped your unique story. Regularly $99 USD, now just $69 USD! Sale valid through Sunday, October 21st!
- Convert Your Video Tapes to DVD and Save Over 60% at Southtree Digital Media – are you sitting on a variety of video tapes in different formats, just waiting to be converted to digital file format or DVD disc? Check out this limited time offer from Southtree via Groupon. You can get three VHS tapes converted for just $20 USD! There are further discounts if you have more tapes to be converted. Southtree is a reputable company with over 10 years’ experience in the media digitization business and they also run the popular Legacy Box service.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.