The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, November 26, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, November 26th, 2018:
Today is Cyber Monday, the last big shopping day of the 4-day Thanksgiving weekend here in the States. Some trivia: the term Cyber Monday came about in the late 1990s when most people still had “dial up” Internet access at home, and waited until the Monday after Thanksgiving to do all their online shopping at their workplace. Most offices had DSL or some type of Internet that was much faster. Now go tell your kids or grandkids about “dial up” Internet and watch their heads explode!
In this last big sprint to the Black Friday/Cyber Weekend finish, DNA is the big seller and the competition has been fierce. So far we’ve seen the lowest online price ever for a DNA test kit from one of the Big 5 vendors ($39 USD for Family Tree DNA) and lots of free shipping incentives. In addition, deep discounts are being extended to customers outside of the United States. This is important since genealogists make more progress on their DNA-based family history research if there are more people available for matches.
What Did You Buy on Black Friday?
Last week we posted a number of deals available on Black Friday. While most of them have been either extended through to Cyber Monday or replaced with even better deals, some absolute bargains are gone forever. Like the 50% off deal on 23andMe DNA test kit for Health over at Amazon.
Were you a big shopper on Black Friday or over Cyber Weekend as it is now being called? As for me, I stocked up on some needed clothing items, new memory foam slippers (it is cold during the Winter in Chicago), a Cuisinart griddle, some Starbucks Via coffee, a pair of Sony Wireless Noise-Cancelling headphones as a Christmas gift for someone special, and some Amazon devices that I can’t mention in detail until after Christmas!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
The Cyber Monday deals are TOO NUMEROUS to mention them all, but DNA is once again the big seller . . . click HERE for the complete listing of today’s Cyber Monday deals!
- UPDATED! 23andMe: Save up to $100 USD during Cyber Monday Sale at 23andMe. 23andMe for Ancestry, regularly $99 USD, now just $59 USD. 23andMe DNA for Health + Ancestry, regularly $199 USD, now just $99 USD when you purchase 2 or more. Sale valid through 12:00 pm PST Tuesday, November 27th – LINK
- UPDATED! Amazon: FREE SHIPPING for Amazon Prime Members on DNA test kits including 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and MyHeritage DNA – LINK
- AncestryDNA: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA – LOWEST PRICE EVER for AncestryDNA – just $49 USD! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA Australia: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA Australia
– just $88 AUD! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA Canada: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA Canada – just $69 CDN! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- AncestryDNA UK: Cyber Sale at AncestryDNA UK – just £49! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Family Tree DNA: Family Finder just $39 USD during Black Friday Sale – huge discounts on Y-DNA, mtDNA and bundles too! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Findmypast DNA: Black Friday Sale with HUGE Savings! Just $59 USD,
$79 CAD, £59, €69 and $99 AUD Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- Living DNA: Save up to 40% during Living DNA Black Friday Sale – regularly $99 USD, now just $69 USD or purchase 2 or more kits for $59 USD each! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
- UPDATED! MyHeritage: Cyber Monday Sale – MyHeritage DNA just $49 USD plus FREE SHIPPING with promo code FREE18! Sale valid through Monday, November 26th – LINK
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.