The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, November 19, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, November 19th, 2018:
Add Some Family History to Your Holiday Meal
I love this time of year when I’m able to get together with family, whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas or a meal with no special occasion. Sometimes it isn’t easy to start a conversation about family history, especially when it involves loved ones who have passed. This Thanksgiving, Ancestry has created a special landing page on its site entitled Thanksgiving Memories: “Capture old memories. Make new ones. Make the holiday season even more special with a few fun and easy ideas to bring your family together. They’re a great way to spend valuable time together and a chance to record precious memories new and old.”
Ancestry has come up with a great tool this year: a series of place cards for the Thanksgiving table it calls “10 Questions to Bring the Family Together.”
These name cards can be printed on heavy stock card paper*, cut and trimmed, and then folded in half. Write the guest’s name on one side and place on the table. Each person’s name should face out and the guest should see the question or conversation prompt facing towards them.
Click HERE to access the cards and print them out for your Thanksgiving meal!
*NOTE: consider using a local FedEx Office or Staples to have your place cards printed. You can send the file via email or their website and even have them delivered!
Have You Documented Your Family’s Thanksgiving Traditions?
Whether it is the battle over fresh cranberry sauce vs. the “canned” version or who gets to sit where . . . every family has at least one tradition that is part of Thanksgiving. Have you taken the time to document and preserve your family’s Thanksgiving traditions much like you would (and should) with a family story?
For me, I remember that my family NEVER went anywhere on Thanksgiving Day. The meal was always at our house, whether it was just the three of us, or we had family and friends over. Mom would make a 20 pound turkey and I would help with the stuffing. Then we would watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade on television and football.
What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition? Let us know whether the tradition has been part of your family for generations OR your family has recently started a new tradition. Visit the Genealogy Do-Over Group at Facebook and let us know!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 20% on Living DNA – just $79 USD during Thanksgiving Sale! “Living DNA is the world’s most advanced DNA test, offering twice the detail of other ancestry tests. Living DNA is able to show you your ancestry in twice the detail of other tests. This is possible because of the scientific teams we work with, and the detailed ways in which they can explore your DNA. You can view your results online or in a personalised book, and this allows you to explore your DNA breakdown today, as well as the migration patterns of your ancestors dating back 80,000 years.” Living DNA is the best DNA test right now if you have British or Irish heritage! Sale valid through November 22nd, 2018. Regularly $99 USD, now just $79 USD – click HERE to shop – via Living DNA
- FREE WEBINAR Every Day Life of Our Ancestors presented by Ann Staley, CG, CGL, Tuesday, November 20th, 7:00 pm Central – “Our ancestors led lives, just like us – only different. Using our life as an example, how can we parallel it to theirs? They ate and drank, married and had families, dressed, had trades and occupations, practiced a religion, dabbled in the arts and sciences, participated in politics and economics, etc. This lecture will examine the various aspects of life and provide resources to discover the historical context and personal details of our ancestors’ lives.” Click HERE to register for FREE – via Legacy Family Tree Webinars
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.