The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, November 12, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, November 12th, 2018:
Do You Take Advantage of FREE ACCESS Periods at Ancestry, Findmypast, MyHeritage and Other Sites?
This past weekend was one of the biggest FREE ACCESS periods I’ve ever seen in the past 10 years. On Facebook and other social media I kept hearing of success stories with many people finding not only new ancestors, but also new records that they’d never encountered before.
But social media was also filled with posts from people complaining that many of the sites were slow or that records were difficult to find. In fact one colleague told me that if she already has a subscription to a genealogy website, she knows better than to use it during a Free Access weekend. She waits until the site “slows down” to do her research. This is a smart use of resources!
What Is On Your Genealogy “Wish List”
I’m busy working on a Genealogy Gift Guide for the holiday season and I’m wondering what YOU would most like to receive to help you with your family history research? A subscription to an obscure genealogy site? A USB flash drive to store genealogy data? A new laptop or scanner or printer? Head on over to our Abundant Genealogy Group at Facebook and check out the poll – and let us know!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- Save 50% on a variety of Subscriptions at Findmypast! Did you locate great finds during the Findmypast FREE ACCESS weekend? Want to continue your search and save money? Check out the offers THIS WEEK ONLY at Findmypast. Sale valid through Monday, November 19th, 5:59 pm CST (11:59 pm GMT) and restrictions apply – see the Terms and Conditions for each offer – via Findmypast
- FREE WEBINAR Introduction to the Bayou State: Louisiana for Beginners presented by Rorey Cathcart, Wednesday, November 14th, 7:00 pm – Tracing your Louisiana ancestors can be challenging. Get off to a great start with a brief introduction to her varied legal history, important migration events and blended ethnic influences. Review repositories, unique record collections and vital records access requirement along with strategies for successful research. Click HERE to register for FREE – via Legacy Family Tree Webinars
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.