The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Monday, December 10th, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Monday, December 10th, 2018:
I’m Back! A Report on My Trip to Salt Lake City!
Did you think Genealogy Update was no longer around? Well, last week I was in Salt Lake City, Utah – which many genealogists consider their “Mecca” since it is home to the Family History Library. I served as instructor and technical consultant for the 34th annual Salt Lake Christmas Tour and this was my seventh year as a staff member!
I taught a total of 10 classes over five days PLUS I helped many of the attendees with computer issues such as how to download DNA data, how to backup files and more.
Consider joining us in 2019, when the Tour will run from December 8th through December 14th! – LINK
DNA Price Wars Heat Up Again!
If you thought that the price war on DNA test kits was over once Cyber Monday ended, think again! They’re back, but for the December lead up to Christmas, there’s a twist: the special deals are “stealth” and hard to find. Here are some tips from DNA Bargains on how to find these bargains and promos that fly under the radar:
- 23andMe: If you are a previous 23andMe customer and you’ve consented to receive their marketing emails, then last week you should have received a SPECIAL 50% off coupon! The link for the sale can ONLY be accessed via the email so check your spam and junk email folders! The deal: get 50% off either the 23andMe Ancestry DNA test kit (similar to the AncestryDNA autosomal test) OR the 23andMe Ancestry + Health Service test! There is a limit of 5 tests per email and this offer ends on Tuesday, December 25th – LINK
- AncestryDNA: How about AncestryDNA – the world’s most popular DNA test kit – for about $44 USD! While the advertisements on television and online state $59 USD, if you purchase three (3) AncestryDNA test kits, you get one (1) free! This brings the price down to $44.25 USD each (does not include taxes or shipping charges). Offer valid through Monday, December 24th – LINK
- Family Tree DNA: Make sure you get on the marketing email list at FTDNA! Last week there were special promo codes to take an additional 5% and 10% off already discounted prices! During the Celebrate the Season promotion at Family Tree DNA, there will be new deals each Monday! – LINK
- Helix: You may not have heard of Helix, but I bet you recognize the name “National Geographic,” right? Their DNA test kit – Geno 2.0 – was one of the first personal DNA test kits available AND the data can be imported into Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage and GEDMatch. Right now, you can get the Geno 2.0 test for just $39.99 USD on Amazon – and free shipping! – LINK
- Free Shipping on DNA Test Kits: If you are looking to score free shipping, your best bet is to shop Amazon if you have an Amazon Prime Membership. You get the same low prices for AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA and the other “Big 5” DNA testing companies, and free shipping with same day delivery in some locations – LINK
Don’t forget to visit DNA Bargains each day to get the latest updates sales info and coupon codes BEFORE you buy!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- TODAY ONLY! Family Tree Magazine: Save 40% on ALL Genealogy Guidebooks! “These exceptional guides include expert information and ready-to-use example formatting that is ideal for anyone looking to dig into their ancestry. Whether your ancestors are from Ireland, Italy, or Poland, we have a country-specific guide book to help you research like a pro. Plus, save 40% on these incredible resources on December 10th only! No coupon code necessary, prices are as marked.”
- LAST DAY! Picture Keeper: Save up to 72% on Picture Keeper! Picture Keeper is an amazing device that looks like a simple USB flash drive but it is so much more. Yes, you could buy a cheap flash drive and take the DIY approach but Picture Keeper has an automated system of making sure ALL of your photos are backed up! Right now you can get the 8GB Picture Keeper with 4,000-Photo Capacity, regularly $59.99 USD, for just $16.99USD! Sal e prices also apply to the 4GB, 16GB and 32GB sizes. Sale valid through Monday, December 10th.
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.