The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Friday, October 19, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Friday, October 19th, 2018:
‘Tis the Season for Family History Gifts!
I know that it isn’t even Halloween yet, and personally I am a stickler for not putting up any of my Christmas decorations until the day AFTER Thanksgiving (I was raised proper!), but I need to post this important reminder: if you want to create gifts for friends and family related to your genealogy research, you need to START NOW!
Not only will you need lead time to get organized, perhaps scan photos or generate family tree charts, but many of the family history vendors who provide gift creation services are SWAMPED this time of year. If you want to receive that photo book or sweatshirt or calendar featuring your favorite ancestor in time for Christmas or Hanukkah, I’ve got some help for you!
Today, at Abundant Genealogy, our featured FREE FRIDAY DOWNLOAD is a handy guide to creating keepsakes using your family photos. Entitled Got Photos? Creating Keepsakes using Family Photos, I’ve put together advice on scanning photos and how to use some of the most popular sites such as Blurb, Snapfish and Shutterfly. PLUS there is an extensive resource list featuring some unusual sites that let you use family photos to create jewelry, ceramic tiles, printed fabric and even window shades!
Check it out at Abundant Genealogy!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
Save BIG on Genealogy Bargains Value Pack at Flip-Pal mobile scanner! I LOVE my Flip-Pal mobile scanner – it is in my backpack or wheelie bag with my laptop wherever I go. I’ve used it to scan family photos when visiting relatives, I’ve even scanned photos in frames on the wall! And I’ve scanned military medals, jewelry and more.
Save $34 with the Genealogy Bargains Value Pack from Flip-Pal! Regularly $228.96, now just $194.96 – you receive:
- Flip-Pal mobile scanner model 100C
- Deluxe Carry Case
- Sketch Kit
- Preserving Your Family’s Oral History and Stories ebook by Thomas MacEntee
Click HERE to shop via Flip-Pal
Save 30% GEDMatch & Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence Boot Camp! Join DNA expert Mary Eberle of DNA Hunters shares her tricks and tips on using the popular (and FREE) GEDmatch program, AND walks you through a case study focusing on combining DNA and non-DNA evidence. Mary will also answer your questions live during the online webinars.
- GEDMatch – Powerful Tools for Analyzing DNA Results and Finding New DNA Matches: GEDMatch is a free, third-party website offering additional tools to interpret your DNA results. Tools include a chromosome browser. GEDMatch accepts DNA test results from DNA testing companies, such as Ancestry, FTDNA, and 23andMe. It can be a great way to find new matches. Learn how to use this helpful website.
- Case Study: Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence: This case study shows the importance of combining DNA and non-DNA evidence to solve an unexpected genealogy mystery. With an extensive tree in hand, it might seem that DNA would only help fill in gaps and breakdown brick walls. However, DNA helped in “pruning” an entire branch of the client’s tree and uncovered a mystery. DNA (along with census records, family stories, and even a pony!) and helped reconstruct the pruned branch.
You’ll receive over 3 hours of educational content for the low price of $25.99! You’ll also receive access to the recorded versions of each webinar and the handouts! Register by Monday, November 12, 2018 and receive $6 off the registration price for a low $19.99 USD! Space is limited, and if you register but can’t attend, you’ll still receive the handouts, the freebies and access to the recordings!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.