The Latest Genealogy News from Thomas MacEntee of Abundant Genealogy via Genealogy Update
Here is today’s Genealogy Update via Alexa Flash Briefing, the Player (below) and the Episode Notes (PDF below):
- Alexa Flash Briefing: Click HERE to enable Genealogy Update on your Alexa Device. If you need help setting up the Alexa flash briefing for your account, click HERE to learn more about flash briefings and Alexa skills over at Amazon.
- Player: If you don’t have an Alexa voice-activated device, use the player below to listen to today’s Genealogy Update.
- Episode Notes: The episode notes for Genealogy Update are available for the hearing impaired and for those who may want to share the information in print format. Click HERE for the current episode’s notes or read below.
Genealogy Update Alexa Briefing
Friday, November 9, 2018
This is Thomas MacEntee with Abundant Genealogy and here are the genealogy and family history-related items you need to know for today, Friday, November 9th, 2018:
Your Weekend Guide to FREE ACCESS to Genealogy and Family Sites during Remembrance Weekend
Sunday, November 11th, 2018, marks the 100th Anniversary of the armistice that ended World War I / The Great War. To honor this event and to help everyone locate information on their ancestors who served in the military, the major genealogy vendors are making BILLIONS of records available for FREE!
Abundant Genealogy has produced a complete list of these sites PLUS resources to help you locate your World War I ancestor or any ancestor who served in the military.
This is THE WEEKEND to put our regular genealogy research aside (and to forget about housecleaning too!) and use these free resources while you can! Most access is valid only through Monday, November 12th.
You Never Know Where You’ll Find Genealogy Resources!
I’m continually amazed at how often an article about history resources will pop up on a tech blog or a non-genealogy site. In addition, I love it when Millennials and the younger generation get interested in these resources.
Such is the case with this week’s article entitled 720,000 Newly Digitized Historic Photos Show Where New Yorkers Lived In The 1940s over at the Gothamist website. The resource covered in the article is a HUGE collection of photos that are part of the tax records during the 1940s in New York City via the Department of Records & Information Services. I checked out several of the properties owned by family members in the Bronx and it was a fun search – plus I have new photos to add to my collection! Visit http://nycma.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet and follow the instructions to find your family’s New York City homes and businesses!
What’s On Sale Today at Genealogy Bargains
Are you familiar with Genealogybargains.com? Each day they scour the Internet for new deals of interest to genealogists and family historians. Here are some highlights:
- FREE DOWNLOAD After You’re Gone: Future Proofing Your Genealogy Research. I want every genealogist to get serious about preserving the legacy of their years of research, so for this weekend only, I’m making my best-selling book After You’re Gone: Future Proofing Your Genealogy Research available for free!* You can access the Amazon Kindle or PDF version for free through Sunday, November 11th!
- Save 61% on DYMO Label Maker via Amazon!“Hand-held and sleek, with battery powered portability, the DYMO LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker is the perfect way to keep your home organized. With a wide array of label colors and text features like multiple font styles, underlining, bolding and text sizing, you can print the right label for almost every situation. And the graphical display shows you precisely what you’re going to print.” Regularly $45.89 USD, now just $17.88 USD!
That’s all there is for now in terms of genealogy and family history news. Check back soon for further updates!
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Amazon Associates Statement: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2018, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.