Catch Finding Your Roots Season 5 Starting Tuesday, January 8th, 2019
Finding Your Roots, hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr., returns to the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) for Season 5, starting this evening, Tuesday, January 8th.
Since the premiere of his groundbreaking series, African American Lives, in 2006 through the first two seasons of Finding Your Roots, noted Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has unearthed the family histories of influential people helping shape our national identity.
This season features an array of celebrated guests who are cultural trailblazers with fascinating family stories, including Academy Award winner Marisa Tomei; Emmy and Golden Globe Award winners Felicity Huffman, Laura Linney and S. Epatha Merkerson; and actors Michael K. Williams, Andy Samberg, Chloe Sevigny and Kal Penn. Season Five also includes superstar author George R.R. Martin; acclaimed journalists Christiane Amanpour, Ann Curry, Joe Madison and Lisa Ling; bestselling author and Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg; TV hosts Seth Meyers and Michael Strahan; artists Marina Abramovic and Kehinde Wiley; politicians Marco Rubio, Tulsi Gabbard and Paul Ryan; Academy Award-winning filmmakers Alejandro Innaritu and Michael Moore; and comedians Tig Notaro and Sarah Silverman.
Season 5 Episode 1: Grandparents and Other Strangers
The first episode is entitled Grandparents and Other Strangers and features actor Andy Samberg and author George R. R. Martin. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. helps them answer some family mysteries when DNA detective work uncovers new branches of their family trees. The DNA analysis upends family history and reveals new relatives.
Check Your Local PBS Listings for Finding Your Roots
Click HERE to access information on local listings for Finding Your Roots Season 5. The 10 new episodes will begin airing on Tuesday, January 8, 2019 at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Watch Finding Your Roots Online
Although it has not been confirmed for Season 5, in the past seasons each episode was made available on the PBS website the following day for viewing. Stay tuned here at Abundant Genealogy for more information.
Finding Your Roots Season 5 Schedule
Following is the broadcast schedule for the new season of Finding Your Roots on PBS:
- Grandparents and Other Strangers – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. helps actor Andy Samberg and author George R. R. Martin answer some family mysteries when DNA detective work uncovers new branches of their family trees. The DNA analysis upends family history and reveals new relatives. Premieres Tuesday, January 8, 8/7c
- Mystery Men – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. helps actors Felicity Huffman and Michael K. Williams discover a wealth of hidden family history. Both grew up knowing little about their biological fathers, and seeing their lost ancestry restored proves deeply empowering. Premieres Tuesday, January 15, 8/7c
- Reporting on the Reporters – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shows journalists Christiane Amanpour, Ann Curry and Lisa Ling that the stories within their own family trees are every bit as compelling as the news stories they have been covering for the world. Premieres Tuesday, January 22, 8/7c
- Dreaming of a New Land – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores with Marisa Tomei, Sheryl Sandberg and Kal Penn the tremendous challenges faced by their immigrant forebears. From Italy, Russia and India to America, their histories show success could take generations to achieve. Premieres Tuesday, January 29, 10/9c
- Freedom Tales – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. delves deep into the roots of two African-American guests, actor S. Epatha Merkerson and athlete and television personality Michael Strahan. Both discover unexpected stories that challenge assumptions about black history. Premieres Tuesday, February 5, 8/7c
- Roots in Politics – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores the diverse family histories of politicians Paul Ryan, Tulsi Gabbard and Marco Rubio. They each see a shared vision of the great American melting pot reflected in their ancestors’ stories. Premieres Tuesday, February 12, 8/7c
- No Laughing Matter – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shows comedians Seth Meyers, Tig Notaro and Sarah Silverman that their family trees are filled with people whose struggles laid the groundwork for their success. Gates also reveals to each one news of an unexpected DNA cousin. Premieres Tuesday, February 19, 8/7c
- Hard Times – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores the family stories of filmmaker Michael Moore and actors Laura Linney and Chloë Sevigny—three people whose distant ancestors overcame great hardships in ways that resonate with their lives today. Premieres Tuesday, February 26, 8/7c
- The Eye of the Beholder – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shares the family histories of director Alejandro G. Iñárritu, iconoclastic performance artist Marina Abramović and painter Kehinde Wiley. These visionary artists find their identities challenged—and affirmed. Premieres Tuesday, April 2, 8/7c
- All in the Family – The family stories of actor Ty Burrell, and radio host Joe Madison. Also a look at how a summer camp for children is using genetic genealogy to help young people better understand their burgeoning identities. Premieres Tuesday, April 9, 8/7c