Catch Finding Your Roots Season 4 Starting Tuesday, October 3, 2017
Finding Your Roots, hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr., returns to the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) for Season 4, starting this evening, Tuesday, October 3rd.
“For more than a decade, renowned Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has helped to expand America’s sense of itself, stimulating a national conversation about identity with humor, wisdom, and compassion. Professor Gates has explored the ancestry of dozens of influential people from diverse backgrounds, taking millions of viewers deep into the past to reveal the connections that bind us all.”
Season four of Finding Your Roots series moves fluidly from Asia and Africa to Europe and the Americas, uniting us all through emotional moments that enrich and enlighten—encouraging us to look at our world through a wider, more inclusive lens. Discover the surprising ancestral stories of 28 fascinating guests, including Carmelo Anthony, Ava DuVernay, Téa Leoni, Ana Navarro, Bernie Sanders, Questlove, and Christopher Walken.
Season 4 Episode 1: The Impression
The first episode is entitled “The Impression” and features comedian and writer Larry David and politician Bernie Sanders who are linked by one hilarious impersonation trace their roots from 1940s Brooklyn back to Jewish communities in Europe.
Larry David discovers his German heritage by way of ancestors who settled in Mobile, Alabama in the mid-19th century — including one who became a slaveholding Confederate; Bernie Sanders gains greater understanding of his father’s dangerous childhood in Austrian Galicia during World War I. Both guests discover what happened to the family members who were still in Europe during the Holocaust — Larry David’s grandfather lost nine siblings; Bernie Sanders’ uncle, a member of the Limanowa Judenrat, heroically went head to head with a Nazi officer. Through DNA testing, our guests learn that there is more to their uncanny likeness than they ever suspected.
Check Your Local PBS Listings for Finding Your Roots
Click HERE to access information on local listings for Finding Your Roots Season 4. The 10 new episodes will begin airing on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Watch Finding Your Roots Online
Although it has not been confirmed for Season 4, in the past seasons each episode was made available on the PBS website the following day for viewing. Stay tuned here at Abundant Genealogy for more information.
Finding Your Roots Season 4 Schedule
Following is the broadcast schedule for the new season of Finding Your Roots on PBS:
- Tues., Oct. 3, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Impression” with Larry David and Bernie Sanders
- Tues., Oct. 10, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Unfamiliar Kin” with Fred Armisen, Carly Simon and Christopher Walken
- Tues., Oct. 17, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Puritans and Pioneers” with Ted Danson, Mary Steenburgen and William H. Macy
- Tues., Oct. 24, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Vanguard” with Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ava DuVernay, Janet Mock
- Tues., Oct. 31, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Immigrant Nation” with Scarlett Johansson, Paul Rudd and John Turturro
- Tues., Nov. 7, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Black Like Me” with Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux
- Tues., Nov. 14, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Children of the Revolution” with Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro
- Tues., Nov. 21, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Relatives We Never Knew We Had” with Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffmann
- Tues., Nov. 28, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Stories We Tell” with Donna Brazile, Ty Burrell and Kara Walker (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Family Reunions” with Sean Combs and LL Cool J (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 9 p.m. ET: “Tragedy + Time = Comedy” with Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear and Bill Hader (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 12, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Southern Roots” with Questlove, Dr. Phil and Charlayne Hunter-Gault
- Tues., Dec. 19, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Funny Business” with Garrison Keillor, Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari