Finding Your Roots – Season 4, Episode 1 –Grandparents and Other Strangers
In the new season of Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. on PBS, this week’s episode featured actor Andy Samberg and author George R. R. Martin as they discover family mysteries when DNA detective work uncovers new branches of their family trees. The DNA analysis upends family history and reveals new relatives.
The episode is entitled Grandparents and Other Strangers and can now be viewed online – use the embedded video above or click HERE to access the video. Video access expires on February 2nd, 2019.
Finding Your Roots Season 5 Schedule
Following is the broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of Season 5 of Finding Your Roots on PBS:
- Mystery Men – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. helps actors Felicity Huffman and Michael K. Williams discover a wealth of hidden family history. Both grew up knowing little about their biological fathers, and seeing their lost ancestry restored proves deeply empowering. Premieres Tuesday, January 15, 8/7c
- Reporting on the Reporters – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shows journalists Christiane Amanpour, Ann Curry and Lisa Ling that the stories within their own family trees are every bit as compelling as the news stories they have been covering for the world. Premieres Tuesday, January 22, 8/7c
- Dreaming of a New Land – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores with Marisa Tomei, Sheryl Sandberg and Kal Penn the tremendous challenges faced by their immigrant forebears. From Italy, Russia and India to America, their histories show success could take generations to achieve. Premieres Tuesday, January 29, 10/9c
- Freedom Tales – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. delves deep into the roots of two African-American guests, actor S. Epatha Merkerson and athlete and television personality Michael Strahan. Both discover unexpected stories that challenge assumptions about black history. Premieres Tuesday, February 5, 8/7c
- Roots in Politics – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores the diverse family histories of politicians Paul Ryan, Tulsi Gabbard and Marco Rubio. They each see a shared vision of the great American melting pot reflected in their ancestors’ stories. Premieres Tuesday, February 12, 8/7c
- No Laughing Matter – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shows comedians Seth Meyers, Tig Notaro and Sarah Silverman that their family trees are filled with people whose struggles laid the groundwork for their success. Gates also reveals to each one news of an unexpected DNA cousin. Premieres Tuesday, February 19, 8/7c
- Hard Times – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. explores the family stories of filmmaker Michael Moore and actors Laura Linney and Chloë Sevigny—three people whose distant ancestors overcame great hardships in ways that resonate with their lives today. Premieres Tuesday, February 26, 8/7c
- The Eye of the Beholder – Henry Louis Gates, Jr. shares the family histories of director Alejandro G. Iñárritu, iconoclastic performance artist Marina Abramović and painter Kehinde Wiley. These visionary artists find their identities challenged—and affirmed. Premieres Tuesday, April 2, 8/7c
- All in the Family – The family stories of actor Ty Burrell, and radio host Joe Madison. Also a look at how a summer camp for children is using genetic genealogy to help young people better understand their burgeoning identities. Premieres Tuesday, April 9, 8/7c