Watch Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux on Tonight’s Episode of Finding Your Roots
The new season of Finding Your Roots on PBS, hosted by Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., continues tonight with a new episode! In this episode, three African-American guests delve deep into their family trees, discovering unexpected stories that challenge our assumptions about black history.
Season 4 Episode 6: Black Like Me
Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux discover a tapestry of the unexpected in their ancestry, revealing slaves and free people of color, Civil War legacies, and forgotten European origins.
- Bryant Gumbel learns that his surname comes from a German Jewish community by way of his second great grandfather — a white man who arrived in America midway through the Civil War. He also learns that on a different line of his father’s family, his second great grandfather was a manumitted slave who signed up for the Confederate army in New Orleans, then changed sides when the Union arrived in his city.
- Tonya Lewis-Lee, a descendant of free people of color going back centuries on her father’s side, learns about her mother’s unknown heritage, including her third great-grandfather, a slave who fought for the Union only to struggle with poverty later in life.
- Suzanne Malveaux discovers that her roots include a black slave owner, a French-Canadian fur trader, and a Native American from the Kaskaskia tribe. Along the way, our guests are reminded that there is no universal African American narrative — that there are as many ways to be black as there are black people.
Click HERE (or below) to view the promo video for this week’s episode:
Check Your Local PBS Listings for Finding Your Roots
Click HERE to access information on local listings for Finding Your Roots Season 4. Tonight’s episode airs at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Watch Finding Your Roots Online
Each episode of Finding Your Roots is available for online viewing at the PBS website the day after broadcast, but only for a short period of time (usually 2-3 weeks).
Finding Your Roots Season 4 Schedule
Following is the broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of Season 4 of Finding Your Roots on PBS:
- Tues., Nov. 7, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Black Like Me” with Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux
- Tues., Nov. 14, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Children of the Revolution” with Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro
- Tues., Nov. 21, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Relatives We Never Knew We Had” with Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffmann
- Tues., Nov. 28, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Stories We Tell” with Donna Brazile, Ty Burrell and Kara Walker (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Family Reunions” with Sean Combs and LL Cool J (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 9 p.m. ET: “Tragedy + Time = Comedy” with Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear and Bill Hader (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 12, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Southern Roots” with Questlove, Dr. Phil and Charlayne Hunter-Gault
- Tues., Dec. 19, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Funny Business” with Garrison Keillor, Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari