Watch Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro on Tonight’s Episode of Finding Your Roots
The new season of Finding Your Roots on PBS, hosted by Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., continues tonight with a new episode! In this episode, three guests explore how their family trees were shaped by political turmoil and violence, discovering sometimes unexpected ancestry along the way.
Season 4 Episode 7: Children of the Revolution
Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro investigate the political choices of their fathers, discovering a sometimes unexpected heritage as they trace their ancestry further back.
Lupita Nyong’o learns the full story of her father’s struggle for democracy in her native Kenya — including his imprisonment and torture — and then follows his line back to grapple with the complicated choices made by her great-grandfather, who served with a British-run police force predating Kenya’s independence.
Carmelo Anthony unearths the ancestry of his activist father, tracing his roots back to Puerto Rico — where Carmelo himself has become socially engaged — all the way back to a third great-grandmother who was brought to Puerto Rico as a slave during a revolution in Venezuela (and bearing DNA that indicates she was likely the child of her owner).
Ana Navarro learns that her father, who fled from Nicaragua in 1980 as a consequence of his political ties, was not the first governmental figure in her family: her second great-grandfather came to Nicaragua as a diplomat from Spain, marrying a woman whose father was disowned for abandoning his father, a mulatto born into slavery in Costa Rica.
Click HERE (or below) to view the promo video for this week’s episode:
Check Your Local PBS Listings for Finding Your Roots
Click HERE to access information on local listings for Finding Your Roots Season 4. Tonight’s episode airs at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Watch Finding Your Roots Online
Each episode of Finding Your Roots is available for online viewing at the PBS website the day after broadcast, but only for a short period of time (usually 2-3 weeks).
Finding Your Roots Season 4 Schedule
Following is the broadcast schedule for the remaining episodes of Season 4 of Finding Your Roots on PBS:
- Tues., Nov. 14, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Children of the Revolution” with Lupita Nyong’o, Carmelo Anthony and Ana Navarro
- Tues., Nov. 21, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Relatives We Never Knew We Had” with Tea Leoni and Gaby Hoffmann
- Tues., Nov. 28, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “The Stories We Tell” with Donna Brazile, Ty Burrell and Kara Walker (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Family Reunions” with Sean Combs and LL Cool J (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 5, 2017, 9 p.m. ET: “Tragedy + Time = Comedy” with Jimmy Kimmel, Norman Lear and Bill Hader (encore broadcast from Season Three)
- Tues., Dec. 12, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Southern Roots” with Questlove, Dr. Phil and Charlayne Hunter-Gault
- Tues., Dec. 19, 2017, 8 p.m. ET: “Funny Business” with Garrison Keillor, Amy Schumer and Aziz Ansari